I was over at Sited and Blogged when I discovered Blog Back Time Thursdays!! I thought, WHAT FUN!! So, here goes my post on the Worst Cooking Disaster Ever!!
This story involves my Mom, the famous Earlene of Mom Minutes, and yours truly. We had just gotten a microwave (in the late 70s, this new-fangled object was a much-coveted kitchen item!), and Mom was like a kid in a candy store. She couldn't wait to see what could be baked, cooked, and/or boiled in that fancy machine. It was the boiled part that just about did us all in!
Dad had come home for lunch, and my Mom and I got this great idea to serve him an all-microwaved meal. Since we had an abundance of eggs, we, or should I say SHE, got the great idea of serving hard-boiled eggs. "Why can't they be fixed in the microwave," she pondered out loud. So, being her ever-faithful assistant, I got the egg out of the fridge, washed it, and proceeded to put it on a plate. Dad, the ever-trusting soul, was sitting a few feet away at the table, and Mom, being the ever-brave person she is, put it in the microwave, set the timer, and pushed the button. (I think you know where this story is headed....)
Mom and I stood a few feet away, chatting about how GREAT this new oven was, and how HANDY it was turning out to be, and how CLEVER we were for buying it. Dumb me, I was just fascinated with the window view, and I had just bent down to peek in when all of the sudden, "KAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOMMMMMM." THE DOOR TO THE MICROWAVE LITERALLY BLEW OPEN!!
Now, picture this scene.....My Mom is about 5'8", very slender and graceful. I was, back then, about 5'3" and clumsy. Have you ever seen a giraffe and a donkey try to get through an open door together?? That is exactly what happened next. Mom and I were tangled up in the kitchen door, trying to get through, and my Dad was "ducking for cover" under the table. He was laughing so hard he could hardly speak, and my heart was seriously going faster than any NASCAR racedriver could EVER go! AND, have you EVER SEEN EGG on a CEILING?? I did not know that one little egg could explode so far up!!
Needless to say, we had quite the time getting egg out of every crack and crevice, and I think Dad ended up having some kind of cold sandwich. To this day, whenever we bring up the "egg incident," we always laugh until we have tears in our eyes. As for the microwave, it wasn't hurt at all. That thing lasted us for years, although we never, ever attempted to cook an egg w/shell ever, ever again! :)